Wednesday, July 4, 2012

America Day

Well, happy 4th of July everyone. And what better day than a day all about America, to unobtrusively slip away on a road trip all the way across Canada.

It sort of got off to a slow start. I've been way underprepared. I wound up leaving so much to the last minute (as usual) and packing and preparing took far longer than i'd planned for (of course) but once I got underway, things moved right along. First, had an impromptu breakfast with my dad before leaving, which was nice.

Had an enormous amount of talk radio queued up - some old Ricky Gervais XFM stuff, some BBC radio dramas, and of course you can listen to CBC Radio One ANYWHERE in Canada, which is nice. My co-pilot dropped out on me just a few days before the trip so it's just me and the radio, until I reach Saskatoon, anyway. Then company comes callin'.


Today was pretty relaxed, pretty uneventful. Mostly just drove leisurely, stopped to take some photos, enjoy the sun. Cruised up north as far as daylight allowed and wound up in Sault Ste Marie just before sundown.


Wanted to get in a good night's sleep the first day, and have a chance to set up all my camping stuff while it was still daylight at least once. So once that was done it was time to capture footage and photos and so on. The first go-round of all of this has been a minor ordeal, but I think i've got a system now. It looks like tomorrow's going to be the longest day. Instead of hitting Thunder Bay...i'm going to try and grind onward to Winnipeg. That way I can take the rest of the trip fairly easily. Ontario is the least exciting part, after all. I've been up to the Sault before, and while lovely, it's not altogether different from, say, Muskoka. Just a little different politically.

Anyway, greetings from the soo, I'll be posting up some footage once I have some time to cut it, and keep checking back for more photos, musings, and exciting times!

It's nice to have begun, but the best is yet to come.

-Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment