Thursday, July 5, 2012

North (west)

Good morning!

The roads here don't have any illusions. Instead of being like the QEW (Where in Niagara, east is also north, and you drive westward, to curve around the lake), here the Great Northern road (as it's called) is quite clear about it's direction. You're going North (even if your goal is west, in brackets). I like that sort of matter-of-fact-ness.

Not a great sleep last night in the soo campground, but making up for it now with delicious dark roast and a tasty breakfast wrap at this awesome coffee joint called "The Steamy Bean" in downtown Sault Ste Marie.



Why is it that as soon as you leave Southern Ontario, the abbreviation of 'Saint' changes from St. to Ste. ?

Anyone know? I'm curious about how that 'e' got in there. There's no 'e' in Saint. It seems arbitrary, but consistent. Tonight I intend to sleep in Ste Anne, Manitoba. Gonna be a long haul, and i'm already off to a late start. Breakfast has taken me 'till almost 8, and I probably won't roll into town until 10pm. Might stop for lunch in Thunder Bay as well. Haven't had much luck hitting a grocery store. Last night had to get the tent set up, which turned out to be quite a good tent (was my first time using it) although a little big. Also it's a tension tent...so I can't just pop it down unless I can stake it in...shouldn't be too much of a problem though. Goes up and down quickly enough.

Rough sleep last night - was easily 25 degrees all night, and humid as all hell. But i'm not discouraged. And now that' i've gotten some good coffee and breakfast into me, i'm ready to drive FOR AN ENTIRE DAY.

Day 1 - 686km
Day 2 - we'll see.

Wish me luck!

-Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment